Monday, September 14, 2009

Marvel's Super Hero Squad Show

So I'm a 24 year old second year law school student, and that should equate nicely with the fact that I am currently watching a cartoon targeted towards 6-12 year old boys. Whatever, I don't go to your crap website and shit on what you do. Anyway, the new Marvel show "Super Hero Squad Show" premiered on Cartoon Network tonight here in the states. It's based on the cutesy little 3 inch figures of the same name which take popular Marvel characters and "kids" them up a bit, looking all cute with rounded edges and all. The most wildly innapropriate has been the Punisher figure, which comes with a little gun. But I digress. The show...

Things I Like About It:
1. Captain America is all old timey and talking about the Great Depression and is generally a big dope. I love Cap, but man, perfect representation of him for a kids cartoon.
2. Finally a Marvel show that has just about every character you can think of, fighting together and generally just mixing it up. (Well, except Spider-Man. See below.)
3. Fart jokes. Can't get enough of them.
4. The Hulk is all big and goofy and stupid. I never liked the Hulk, but I think he works best as a big bumbling oaf.
5. Thor is also all bumbling and stupid. Case in point, the gang shows up to fight Dr. Doom in a climactic battle and says "We're the Super Hero Squad. And we didn't even need name tags!" and then Thor is all like "oops I didn't get the memo" and takes of a "THOR" name tag. Whatever, it was funny on the show.

Things I don't like but understand:
1. The Silver Surfer talks like Keanu Reeves. Because he's a surfer get it? Bah... I get it but I don't like it.
2. No Spider-Man. Presumably because animation rights to the wall crawler were licensed to Disney months and months before the whole kit and kaboodle was scooped up by the House of Mouse. Oh well.
3. They added a crappy new character called Reptil (yes, Reptil not Reptile) who can "take on attributes of dinosaurs." Really? They have 5000+ characters and they need to make a new one up?
4. Too much Wolverine. Like everything Marvel does.
5. As amusing as I find it, being someone literally more than twice the age of the intended viewer, it ain't as good as Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which also airs on Cartoon Network. Now that's a show that is legitimately good to adults as well AND is batshit crazy (see what I did there?). I doubt there will be a musical episode of Super Hero Squad with Neil Patrick Harris singing and dancing.